ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS
An attempt to amend the provisions of the City of Austin Land Development Code with respect to Accessory Dwelling Units has been in progress for most of this year. As of this writing, the City Council has passed, on second reading, an ordinance which:
1) Reduces building separation from 15 feet to 10 feet.
2) Allows an entrance within 10 feet of a property line.
3) Removes driveway placement requirement.
4) Reduces parking requirement from 2 to 1 off street space for all secondary units.
5) Prohibits use as Type 2 Short Term Rental
6) Applies the ordinance citywide, i.e., to all properties throughout the city that can currently build an ADU.
7) Reduces minimum lot area from 7,000 to 5,750
8) Allows Two-family in SF-2
It is not known yet when third reading will occur, but apparently the reason it did not pass all three readings at the Council meeting on Thursday, 15 October, 2015 is that there is discussion about adding requirements for affordability.
Girard Kinney, AIA
Former Chair, CNA Land Use and Transportation Committee